What you’ll learn:
- “Spin up” new WordPress sites in under one minute.
- Install WordPress on your local computer (Windows or Mac) so you can learn without paying for a domain and web hosting.
- Download, install and configure WordPress plugins.
- Optimize your website for search engines.
- Backup, export and move your website to a different domain and/or hosting.
- Create pages and posts, and how to understand the difference between the two<./li>
- Create custom menus and navigation systems that both visitors and search engines will find useful.
- Protect your WordPress website from hackers and spammers.
- Back up your WordPress website in case of an emergency.
- Set up server and hosting environments in the most economical and secure way.
- Build and edit websites within staging and development environments.
- Migrate and transfer WordPress websites from staging to live and vice-versa.
- Use some of the most popular and versatile WordPress Themes available.
- Discover multiple ways to work with various themes and frameworks.
- What makes this course different from other courses is that I am approaching it from two perspectives:
- My real-world understanding of how to build websites for actual clients.
- My understanding of the graphic design and how that directly relates to website design best practices
- I have over a decade of experience owning my own graphic design and website development agency, and I am so excited for the chance to pass the knowledge and tricks I have learned on to you!
With WordPress, you have options!
I will walk you through both free and paid themes so that you can dive in at whatever investment level woks for you.
Most themes use a similar backend layout, so once you learn the basics in this course, you can apply that knowledge to other themes down the road. This gives you the ultimate creative freedom and ownership over how your website looks and functions – both now and on into the future.
Who this course is for:
- Graphic designers looking to add web design and development to their skill set
- Entrepreneurs and freelancers looking to create their own online presence
- Anyone that wants to use WordPress and Photoshop (among other things) to create a beautiful, functional website quickly and efficiently
- Beginners of all ages and industry interests
- This course is great for designers that want to learn how to build beautiful websites without the hassle of having to learn how to code. It is also great for entrepreneurs and freelancers that need a professional online presence but that also do not want to pay a lot of money to have someone else create it for them. It is also a great course for anyone that is curious about websites and graphic design, as the course serves as a great launchpad for wherever your creativity and passions can take you!
By the end of this course, you will have a beautifully designed website that you are proud of, and – if your goal is to start creating websites for others as a side gig or as a business – you will have learned some of the tricks and tools that I used to successfully build websites that clients pay very well for.
- You should have a basic understanding of computers and software
- A modern browser like Chrome, Safari, or Firefox
- Internet access
- You do not need any coding experience or programming knowledge
- You can follow along with free themes, but I also show you how to use several premium themes – the typical cost is $60 per theme if you choose to go that route
- We will work locally (no cost), but if you want to launch your site you will need to purchase a domain name and hosting